Programs and Services
Kelewatl Natural Life Harvesting Commission
“The Fish and Wildlife Management Commission for the aboriginal harvesters who reside throughout the traditional Mi’kmaq homelands of Prince Edward Island.”
The Native Council of Prince Edward Island has been actively pursuing the establishment of a Natural-Life Management Commission called the NCPEI Kelewatl Commission for our large community of Traditional Ancestral Homeland Mi’kmaq/Indigenous Peoples on Prince Edward Island. As the Natural-Life management authority for our community, the Kelewatl Commission will function to:
- Provide access to a food, social and ceremonial harvest for fish, wildlife, traditional medicines, and other plants.
- Promote, sustain, and encourage the sharing of NCPEI member knowledge of aquatic resources, wildlife and the environment, and its traditional uses.
- To inform its harvesters about species at risk which may be listed under the Canadian Species at Risk Act.
- To receive aquatic resources, wildlife and environmental issues, concerns, needs and interests from the Traditional Homeland Mi’kmaq/Aboriginal Peoples of Prince Edward Island and respond accordingly.
- To accomplish the goals and objectives of the Kelewatl Commission, it will be important to have active membership involvement in the commission through local and Zone participation.
The advice provided from locals and Zones will be used to guide the Kelewatl Commission management activities on the following:
- Develop guidelines for fishing, trapping, hunting, tree harvesting and other harvesting which involves natural-life harvesting species.
- Review and provide recommendations on policies, enactments, and regulations to access and make use of the natural-life resources on PEI under review by the PEI government.
- To promote and advance its natural-life harvesting guidelines to the NCPEI community.
- Promote to harvesters and provide them venues for any training courses provided by the PEI government on natural-life resource harvesting methods, resource stewardship, and hunting safety.
The Kelewatl Commission provides a level of credibility, responsibility, and ownership to the Native Council of Prince Edward Island.